Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chihuly!

This past weekend, C and I went to see the Chihuly exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA). It was awesome! We got there a little before 10 so we could get tickets and get in before the crowd. You can take pictures as long as you don't use your flash so I brought along my Nikon and went to town.
A boat...filled with awesomeness!

These swirling shapes are right up my ally...

I'm going to make a boat filled with glass balls, and you're going to love it.

This is part of the ceiling which made me feel like I was scuba diving again.


There's the octopus!

Chihuly was inspired by Native American woven baskets to make this display.

Glass? Or woven basket?

Beautiful.


The largest sculpture he has ever created.

Looked like curling smoke to me.

LOVE.

Crazy goodness.


Simple, pure, beautiful.

Blue reeds made especially for the VMFA.


I really have no idea how anyone can do something so amazing with glass. I learned some pretty cool things while in college...welding metal, jewelrymaking, stained glass...but I would have loved to have learned glass blowing. Never say never!

I love going to the VMFA. We always have a good time and since they remodeled they have gotten some really awesome exhibits in there. The first one was a large Picasso exhibit, which was good but didn't blow me away. Then there was the Tiffany glass exhibit which was really good and an Egyptian exhibit with some mummies which was pretty good. I really enjoy going to that museum. It makes for a fun day and gets me inspired to go home and do some of my own work.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to see Chihuly. I thought it was awesome. I also love hitting up VMFA - my favorite exhibit since the reopening was Fabrege - did you get to see that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did go see Fabrege! I had actually forgotten about it. They are going to have one coming in a few months with Hollywood costumes, like Superman's costume. The hubby was excited about that one.

      Delete