Monday, February 4, 2013

Cocoa Steel Cut Oats

Awhile ago I discovered steel cut oats while checking out the recipes over at Oh She Glows. I tried it out and enjoyed them, although I think they take a little getting used to since their flavor seems a little different than that of good old rolled oats. I used about half of my bag and they've been in the pantry ever since.

Then the other week I read about 10 different pregnancy "super foods" that are really great for your growing baby. One of these was oatmeal.

This past weekend I was lamenting over not being able to run any of the fun, upcoming races that i usually do this time of year, so I pulled out one of the Runner's World magazines I haven't read in about 5 months now (since I haven't been running, I haven't been reading...) and came across this recipe for steel cut oats. This recipe seemed (and was) a LOT more simple than the ones I've seen at OSG. So I tried it out.



Although it kind of looks like gruel, it was tastey. I had to add a little sugar on top to make it sweeter (I grew up putting sugar on oatmeal) and from there I was good to go. Plus I was all proud of myself for feeding my child something healthy.

I actually made less than the recipe called for, and of course, changed a few things to make it my own. I've been eating less lately, it doesn't take much to fill me up, and when I was done cooking I had enough for about 3 breakfasts. I wouldn't keep this hanging around for too long, eat it within a few days of making it.

Cocoa Steel Cut Oats

1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 cup milk

-boil these 3 in a pot, simmer 15 minutes

1 mashed banana
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 cup water

-mix in these 4 and cook for 10 minutes

Sprinkle sugar on top if you like your's sweeter :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment