Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sweet Potato Muffins

It's 2012 and I have officially been a runner for 4 years now. My, time does FLY! It's been an awesome four years so I really can't complain. With these 4 years I have also had a subscription to Runner's World for about the same amount of time. This magazine is seriously my saving grace some days. While sitting on the couch I read it and get inspired to lace up and run. It's full of tons of great information and inspiring stories to keep you running.
A few weeks ago I found a recipe for sweet potato muffins. I finally got around to making them the other night and they turned out fantastic! I decided to try my hand at adapting the recipe to make them vegan and it worked out really well. Not sure how "healthy" they are exactly but hey, its a step in the right direction.

Ooooo look at the pretty muffins! yummmm....

Here is the recipe after I made it vegan:

Dry ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt cause I had it laying around and it worked well)

Wet ingredients:
1/4 cup Earth Balance (unsalted butter, margarine works too)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 mashed sweet potato
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax, 4 tablespoons warm water)
1/2 cup almond milk

Heat oven to 375F. Grease muffin tin or use liners. Mix your flax egg and set aside so it can thicken. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in another. Fold the wet into the dry. Fill the muffin tin and bake for about 25 minutes.
I also added pecans to my dry ingredients and sprinkled some brown sugar on top before I threw them in the oven. It really added something to the muffins, but be careful because the brown sugar starts to burn after too long.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment