Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Run Like A Girl 8K

Here in Virginia we have the Run Like a Girl 8K. There are 2 races around Richmond and one in Virginia Beach. The race supports the HERA Foundation, which works to fight against ovarian cancer. Only women can run in this race which makes it fun and special.

I have run both of the races that are in Richmond. The first one I ran back in May of 2010, which turns out to be a trail run. I have never run on a real trail before and this race just about did me in. I ran on gravel, dirt, grass, weeds, hopped a small creek...even ran right past a rabid racoon that was sitting on the side of the trail. It was hilly and it seemed very long. I am glad I did it becuase I can now say I have done a trail run...and that I will avoid them in the future. I am definitely a road racer...but I would say try it out at least once so you get a feel for it and can find out for yourself whether you like it or not.


Running in the woods!
 The other race is in the fall and it is a road race. A very hilly road race.  I had a good time in this one because my big sis (sorority) Bonnie came down and ran it with me. I had a great time running with her because she actually stayed with me. I can't really talk and run at the same time but it's nice to have someone there with you. Despite getting a cramp in my side and having to walk a few times, we still made great time and I finished 10 minutes faster than I did back in the spring! It was a chilly morning but we had a lot of fun. The race swag was really cute too! I got this sling backpack that I wear to the gym and anywhere else I don't feel like taking a purse.
Bonnie and I waiting for the start!

I am pretending to run, Bonnie is getting ready to fight someone...

Coming up a hill, get this over with!

Crossing the finish line!!
I did enjoy this race and it is fun to say that I ran it. I had to laugh when a friend of mine said she was running the trail run this last spring. I told her to have fun. When I saw her at work on Monday she told me it was "brutal".
I definitely would only recommend this 8K to people who are a little more comfortable with running. An 8K isn't all that far, but it seems a lot farther when you are running on surfaces that you are not used to running on or are not used to hills.
Overall they were enjoyable and I do have an itch to run one of them again...I'll skip the trail run though!

No comments:

Post a Comment