Thursday, August 11, 2011

Richmond Half Marathon

Aaaah the Richmond Marathon...this is the race that inspired me to start running. Although I have not run the marathon yet, I have run the half marathon that is associated with this one. I've run it 3 times and every time I do it I think to myself, why am I doing this? Why am I putting myself through this? But it is so worth it every time to feel that sense of accomplishment.

This race is called "America's Friendliest Marathon" and it's true! There are people cheering along the way, handing out water...and beer and liquor. The expo is fabulous as well. Lots of vendors and great stuff to check out. The best part of this race? The downhill finish!

2008-This was the first year I ran this race. It was tough because I had never run that far before and my hip was all messed up. I am glad I did it though.

2009-Second time running this race. Ran a lot better, trained a lot smarter and harder, and had a lot more fun. I also tried gel for the first time. I didn't think I would like it but I love gel. If you've never tried it, you should. It gives you a great boost of energy for those long runs. The chocolate tastes like eating icing and if you love chocolate icing like I do, you will be in seventh heaven. I also discovered the plastic space blanket thingy. Its amazing how great that thing works. I cut my time down by 20 minutes as well!


2010-Third time running this half. Unfortunately I had to run it with a sinus infection. I was frustrated for most of the race had a hard time breathing. But somehow through all my struggles, I finished faster than the year before and set a PR.
Will I run it again this fall? I haven't decided just yet. It's definitely a race worth traveling for though if you are from out of town!

No comments:

Post a Comment