Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Training Week 5: Oops I skipped it again

Last Saturday I skipped my training run. I know I shouldn't make excuses, but we got a ton of snow and since the roads actually got plowed this time, there were (and still are) snow mountains lining the streets. I have seen people out running almost in the middle of the road and cars have had to swerve around them to keep from hitting them. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk.

As I wait for the snow to melt some more, I've been hitting the gym and getting my physical therapy in.  Saturday was cold, wet and rainy so I mostly stayed indoors and Sunday we spent the day out of town. This week is just crazy busy for me after work so I think this is going to be the week that my training lags. Hopefully it won't hurt me too much come Saturday.

 So what's with the knee? Back in October I was at Body Pump. I squatted down and I felt a pop in my left knee. It wasn't enough to make me stop so I finished the class. I've been in pain ever since. A few weeks ago I finally got my act together and went to see a doctor. Last time I went through this with my hip my doctor was kind of an idiot and could never diagnose me with anything. After MRI's with contrast (the worst pain in the world) and a lot of worthless PT that was a waste of money because the PT in her office wasn't even a licensed PT, I got better on my own by getting massages and continuing to run. I could tell that this knee issue was not going to just go away like the hip did.

The doctor I saw was great and he knew right away what was wrong and said he sees it a lot with women my age. Basically my knee cap has moved out of place. He gave me a brace to wear, some meds to make it feel better and sent me off to PT. The physical therapist was even more helpful and explained that since I have zero flexibility in my quads, they pretty much pulled my knee cap up. Luckily it is not a horrible injury and can be pretty easily fixed with some work. They are really working me too. I left yesterday after an hour and a half soaked in sweat. Last week was easy but yesterday was a beast. The foam roller he has is also my new enemy. It is the hardest foam roller I have ever come across and I literally had bruises up and down my legs last week from it. Also my IT band is a big problem apparently and yesterday Kevin (the therapist) spent some time at the end working the knots out of it. HOLY SH*& that hurt!! He also stretches out my quads which hurts but feels great after. The husband will have to help my with that from now on after races ;-)

So far I am pretty satisfied with where I am with it all. Kevin told me yesterday that he can already see improvement in my flexibility. Yay! It will be nice to run without feeling hunched over at the end.

Mom I found your foam roller!


No comments:

Post a Comment