Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Training Week 4: fitting it in

This week was all about trying to fit this run in. C was out of town this weekend and B had a cold so I stayed home from my training run. I did drop him off with my parent's for a bit went out to the gym on Saturday which was nice. I am really enjoying the gym these days.

Sunday, C got home from his trip at a decent time so I headed out that afternoon and did my 3 miles. Over the weekend I was able to catch up on a few more issues of Runner's World during baby naps. In one there was an article about speed work. Since speed work can help you improve your running overall, I thought I would give it a try on my next run. So on Sunday after running the first 2 miles I sprinted at the beginning of mile 3. It actually felt really good while I was doing it and then it came back to bite me during the rest of the mile. I did finish that last mile faster than the first 2 though. Speed work can help you improve overall if you do it about once a week. I think I might try to get a little in here and there.

Since we have this snowstorm on the horizon, I made sure that I got to the gym yesterday afternoon because I don't know when I will make it out of the house again.  I started my workout with a warm up run around the indoor track and it actually hurt my legs. I'm not sure if I was just tight or what, so I ran 5 laps, did a machine, ran five laps, did a machine...and so on. It worked pretty well and after about 45 minutes I felt like I had gotten enough work in. Stretching after never felt so good.

source

You know what is really hard though? As I did my dead lifts in the weight room, I stood there looking at myself and I really started to notice what 9+ months of not running (and pregnancy) has done to my body. When I look in the mirror, I see what I saw 6 years ago when I first became a runner. It's tough to look at that. I feel like 5 years worth of work went down the drain. I know I can get back to where I was, it is just a LOT harder now because I don't have the extra time that I used to. Even when I make the time I feel as though it's not enough, and it's not. Hopefully soon this will change, once the weather gets warmer and I can use the jogger on a regular basis. If I can add B to my gym membership this summer, that will really help. I'll get there, I know I will, in my own slow, turtle way.

source
This made me laugh :-) Be a cupcake! Be a cupcake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment