Monday, January 27, 2014

10K Training Week 2: How to deal with winter

I hate winter. I really really do. Your skin dries out and itches, your hair is filled with static and is all over the place, you get shocked whenever you open a door or touch someone, you have to wear layers and layers of clothes, not to mention I hate being cold...ugh, I hate it. But the one thing I do enjoy about winter is snow. Particularly snow days since I am a teacher. Last week we had Monday off and then Tuesday night the winter storm came through. We did not get all that much snow but it quickly turned to ice which stuck to the roads and did not melt. And around here, the neighborhood roads are never plowed, just the main ones, therefore we just stay home instead of going to school. So the kids have had off for a week and I had 2 extra work days with no students which I didn't mind at all. :-)

This week has been a little nuts. I did not go to my training run on Saturday because a.) it was 18 degrees outside, b.) it was disturbingly windy which lowered the temp, and c.) we had to go over to my grandfather's house and help him move some items since he is moving to an assisted living place next month. It was kind of a crazy morning. So I decided to skip.

However, I made up for it today and went for my 2 mile run. I'm so glad I waited.

First off, my friend told me about these fleece lined running pants she found at Athleta which just opened at the mall. I went over yesterday and picked up a pair and oh my they are sooooo worth the money!!! I wore them today and for the first time EVER my legs did not get cold on my run!! I layered up on the top and stayed toasty warm. It also was not nearly as cold today as yesterday.

My run was a bit slow, and this is why. This is the path that goes into the park at the end of my street which I run almost every time I go out. It's very shady and since it has been walked all over it is solid ice under the snow. No running to be had here so I just walked up the hill. I could have gone a different way but I don't really care for out and back runs and this path is part of a great one mile loop that begins and ends at my front door. I would rather run this twice than zig zag all over the neighborhood just to avoid some ice.

Despite the fact that I hate winter, I actually enjoyed my run. There was a lot of ice still on the roads and sidewalks that I had to either dodge or run over but I was OK with this because it slowed me down and kept me from running too fast. I still feel really out of shape but I'm only at the beginning of this 10 week journey.

I did some research on runner's knee and I'm wondering if I should try wearing a compression sleeve when I run. I know, I need to go to the doctor...I'll get there. Anyone ever tried a compression sleeve on a knee?

No comments:

Post a Comment