Friday, January 24, 2014

10K Training Week 1 & Meg's Miles

The other week I decided that I needed to join the YMCA 10K training team again this year. Back in 2008 I joined the team because I wanted to run the 10K but had never run more than a mile in my whole life. It was a great way to break into becoming a serious runner and worked out really well for me. I joined it again in 2009 and 2010 and then I decided I was good on my own, which I was.

Now that I have had such a long time off from running, it's time to seriously get back in. Since the team worked for me before, I know that it will work again. Last Saturday was the first team run. It was frigid outside and I sat in my car as long as I could since I got there early. It was not nearly as crowded as I remember it being in the past but that may have been because it was so cold and some people may have decided to run other places that day.

This was more than just a training run. The weekend before, a local runner named Meg had been hit and killed by a drunk driver while she was out on her morning run. It really struck a chord with the Richmond community and runner's across the globe, so people gathered and ran whatever mileage they wanted to for Meg. People in Switzerland were running for Meg and posting pictures on Facebook. Even though it was so sad, it is amazing to see how people come together, especially runners. She was a Tri Sigma, which is my sorority, so I wore a purple Sigma bracelet for her while I ran.

At my training run we spoke about how we all need to be extra alert at all times and do all that we can to be safe. Unfortunately for Meg there wasn't much she could do, but it is good to hear the reminders because sometimes people just don't think and then bad things happen. I was a cautious runner before, but now that I have my son I am even more cautious. We all took a knee and a moment of silence for Meg and then we did what we do best: we ran.

The run was so cold and my knee had had plenty of time to get solidly cold by this point so I ran as fast as I could. I also forgot my headband which totally sucked. I won't make that mistake again. It was supposed to be 1 mile but it turned out to be 1.3 which was OK. My app went off at 1 mile and told me that I had run it in about 10:43 which is good for me considering I haven't been running. I tried to slow it down, but I ended up running the entire thing without walking at all.

On a different note, here I am the night before for our date night-8 months post baby! Still a little fluffy but slowly getting that body back! I hope to be a lot different looking come 10K time!

Weekly Training Runs:
Monday was another run day that was supposed to be easy. Since it was MLK day and C was working on the bathroom, I strapped B in the jogger and headed out. This was the oddest run I've ever had. So this jogger I have was bought used from a friend. I hate the thing. B is about the 4th baby it has been used with and this thing is at the end of it's life. Not only were the tires nearly flat (I could have pumped them up before I went out but I didn't think of it and then was too lazy to go home and try to do it) but the undercarriage shakes like crazy when I tried to go fast. It was the slowest mile I've run since high school, at 16 minutes since it was mostly walking and a little jogging. I was keeping the jogger to trade in at the Babies R Us trade in event this weekend, but then I was at Target and they had the jogger I wanted on clearance for $56!!! That's a savings of $114!!! Seriously when you are having a kid, check Target for the big items on clearance, they have such great deals. I got his dresser there on super sale too. I still need to get rid of this jogger though so I'm going to give it to my mom so she can get a discount on a car seat for her car.

Anyways then we got snow and ice dumped on us and I had to go back to work yesterday but with no students which was nice. I went to the gym after that and warmed up on the elliptical for 15 minutes and then ran around the track 15 times. I don't know how far that is but I figured it would take the place of the run I missed on Wednesday.

Tomorrow starts week 2. I'm not sure how I feel about running tomorrow since there is still ice all over the roads and it is going to be ridiculously cold out, but I might go anyways and just take it slow. I want to make it to as many training runs as I can, and I will be blogging about them every week! Accountability people! ;-)

So that was week one: freezing cold, sunny day, memorial run, sore quads, knee did OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment