Friday, February 22, 2013

back in physical therapy...

Yesterday I had physical therapy. I've had this horrible back pain that actually started about 2 years ago, always on the left side. Sometimes it was so bad that I couldn't even sit comfortably. My lower back gets annoyed with me when I run sometimes and I would always just try to either ice it, heat it or deal with the pain.

Over my winter break I was sick with this nasty respiratory flu that was going around school. I basically spent 2 straight weeks sitting on a couch or at my desk at home messing around on the computer. The annoying spot in my lower back started to bother me and it got to the point that I couldn't even put weight on my left leg one day. After that, I finally mentioned it to my doctor and she prescribed some PT for me.

I started last week and the exercises did help, but then yesterday the pain was pretty bad by the end of the day. We had figured out last week that the culprit is my SI joint. Yesterday my therapist was rubbing and poking at my back and then got me to try on this big belt contraption. Apparently my pelvis is kind of being pushed apart, which is adding to the SI joint pain and this belt helps push it back together and support my back. Fabulous. (Maybe this means that my baby will fly out of me and I won't have a hard delivery??) The belt is oddly comfortable and actually really does help the joint. I've been wearing it all day today and I feel better and more supported than I have in the last few weeks.

Little dude is not so amused though. As soon as I put this belt on he starts kicking me like, "What are these shenanigans? What is making my space even smaller?"

After she got that on me she took me into their little gym and had me do some simple exercises, like sitting on a ball and pulling on tension bands, keeping my abs tight (I know that makes no sense right now but surprisingly there are still abs in there somewhere) and sitting up straight. Then I did some leg work and was all done.

It really made me miss working out though. I do a lot better actually going to the gym rather than trying to work out at home with a video. Although I do plan on doing quite a bit of that this summer if I can. Our gym teacher at school uses the county gym that we as teachers can use for free after you go through orientation. I keep meaning to call them and keep forgetting, maybe it's time to do that. I know they don't have a lot but all I really want right now is a treadmill or an elliptical anyways.

I sat down the other weekend and wrote down my race plan for after baby. I really miss running, and not having to wear weird contraptions.

1 comment:

  1. I get this same pain - in the same spot (lower left back). AND the problem is also my SI joint, though mine isn't so bad that I had to get PT for it. My PT did show me some weird moves that my husband can "perform" on me to get me back in line, but so far I haven't dared ask.

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete