Monday, February 6, 2012

I Love You Cupcakes

While at work today I decided I needed to make cupcakes. One way to tell my husband, "I love you" is with white cake with chocolate icing, it is his favorite. Cupcakes needed to be made today.

I remembered having a box of white cake mix in the pantry so I stopped by the store on the way home and grabbed chocolate icing, eggs and cupcake liners. All set to go, I headed home. Of course the first thing I do when I get home is change into yoga pants, t-shirt and sweatshirt as always. After getting all situated in the clothing department, I headed down to start baking, open the pantry....and no box of cake mix.

Well, crap.

Having changed my clothes, I was not really in the mood to go back up and change and I really didn't want to go back to the grocery store. Being the creative person that I am, I grabbed my iPad and started looking up recipes for cake mix. How hard could it be really? It's just a box of what looks like flour, I got this.

Oh no, I don't got this.

I keep things like flour and sugar in the house, but I do not keep things like dried milk, (wth?) self rising flour, or a sifter. Apparently I need to invest in a sifter.
I randomly started searching vegan recipes because one thing I have learned is that vegans put together a lot of random ingredients and come up with some crazy good food.
I found a recipe that I had most of the ingredients for and just changed a few things to make them white. I have to thank Oh She Glows for this one. Here is her recipe.

This is my version of it.



I Love You Cupcakes

Ingredients:

Dry
  • 2 cups + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
Wet
  • 1 & 3/4 cup water
  • 1/8th cup apple cidar vinegar
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Note: I only used confectioner's sugar because after 1 cup of sugar, I was out of regular sugar. Next time I am going to us 1 and 1/8 cup of regular sugar because they could be a tad sweeter.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix together the wet ingredients in another. Mix both together with a mixer on low-medium speed until just mixed. Put paper liner in a cupcake pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. They should spring back when you push them gently in the center.

You can also lick the batter right out of the bowl. It's pretty tasty. Remember licking the batter off the spoon as a kid? I used to LOVE doing that, and then my mom got salmonella poisoning once from a raw egg that was in the batter and licking the spoon was banned from our house. I have since been paranoid to lick the spoon that has anything containing raw egg. Nothing to worry about there when it comes to vegan baking!!

I like to tell myself that these delightful cupcakes are extremely healthy and almost fat free. I know I am kidding myself because of the sugar, but they still have to be better than the store bought ones with butter and everything else in them.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. They sound good but I'm amazed atthe amount ofvinegar used in the recipe. This is my first visit to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a really nice spot to visit and I enjoyed the time I spent here, I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I'm glad you are enjoying my blog :-) I was surprised at the amount of vinegar as well, but it worked! You can't taste it at all.

      Delete