Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I'm lame, oh well

Once upon a time I ran a half marathon with a sinus infection. Then I ran a half marathon and an 8K back to back (one on Saturday and one on Sunday) with food poisoning.

Those days are over.

Maybe I'm just lazy, or maybe being over 30 throws you into the "old" catagory (even though I still feel 20 most days) but I'm done with that kind of stuff.

I woke up Thursday morning and did not feel good. It got worse as the day went on. By Friday I felt like I had a full blown sinus infection and could barely breathe. Saturday morning I woke up to miserable rain. I got out of bed, put on my running gear and a hat and went outside. I stood in the rain for about 3 minutes and said to myself "This is just not worth it."

The whole point of running a race is to have fun. There is no way I would have had fun this past Saturday while trying to run in the rain with a head cold. It just was not worth it.

I've run Monument Ave five times before this so I don't feel like I missed out on much. Also 3 out of those 5 times it has been rainy and gross outside. I'm done with bad race day weather. Next year and any other year I decide to run it again, I will just do walk up registration. That way if I am sick or we get hit with another monsoon I won't feel like I lost money.

It also occurred to me that this race seems to get earlier every year. They really should push it back into mid-April again. March is to early.

Monday I got out and ran and it was beautiful outside. Going to go again today. This weekend looks like it should be nice and since we will be at the new river house (!) I will definitely get to go for a run since grandparents (built in babysitters) will also be there.

It's finally Spring, the weather is getting warmer and hopefully this long winter is over.

A friend asked me to run the Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon with her in October. Can I be half marathon ready by then??

Congrats to all who ran Monument Ave this past Saturday. I hope you had a great time because it really is a great race :-)

4 comments:

  1. You can do walk up registration for the Monument 10K?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. If not I will register on the last day it is open haha!

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way that you did, but made myself go anyway. I felt obligated because it was my 5th MA10K and my only streak race. I hate running in the rain but it actually wasn't that bad since it was on the warm side.

    Last year the race was April 13th and the weather was picture perfect (if not a bit on the warm side), but it did rain the year before on March 31st (of course that was the year that I had finally convinced my friends to come down and run it with me).

    Here's to hoping you get some better race day weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit my 5 year streak in 2012 and skipped last year since I was 2 weeks away from having a baby. It was such a nice day last year!! I don't know why they move the date around so much. It would be so much better if they kept it in April. It didn't feel all that bad out on Saturday but since I was sick I really didn't feel like pushing myself :-P And I am still fighting off this cold. Blah.

      Delete