Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wicked 10K 2012

With the commotion of finally being able to tell people about the pregnancy I totally forgot about my last race. C and I travelled down to Virginia Beach at the end of October so I could run the Wicked 10K one last time pre-children. I told my doctor about it a few weeks before and she is a runner as well so she was totally fine with me running it, but she said that distance is the tops for how far I should be going. And I am glad I listened because whoa...running pregnant is hard.

We got there Friday night and stayed with a friend of mine and had dinner at The Broken Egg Bistro, which was fabulous and I can't wait to go back. Chicken alfredo....yum.....

Saturday morning we got up and headed down to the oceanfront. Sandy was on the way in and it was a little ominous looking and rather windy out. It still wasn't as windy as last year, which was nice and it did not rain on us, so a few clouds were totally fine. Nothing sucks more than running in the rain. Unless you are doing it for fun in a bikini. Or scuba diving in the rain. That's actually pretty fabulous.

My friend R ran this one with me, and we had a blast. Running with a friend is a LOT of fun and something I haven't done since 2008. I now realize I need to do it more. The race goes faster and you don't overdo it since you are busy chatting away. Before the race started when we finally found each other in the mass of people, I told her that we had to take it easy today because I had an extra passenger riding along.

R: "Oh cool, where are they?" (looks around)

C and I looked at each other and grinned like pole cats. R looked back at our faces and suddenly it hit her and she freaked out. It was great :-) She has a little daughter who is about 5 months old and is the cutest little baby you've ever seen. We can't wait for play dates even though her daughter will be about a year older than my child by the time he/she finally gets here.

We were tired but excited. The chick in the background looks like she's about the sneak attack someone.

Running down the oceanfront boulevard with about 3 miles behind us.

Happily headed towards the finish line!

 This race would have been extremely hard for me had it not been for R. We took it easy but pushed each other just enough to finish strong. My body was sooooo not happy with me after. Near the end I really started to feel it in my lower back and legs. I have run once on my own since this race. I really want to start running more easy runs because I want to keep my legs in shape and my doctor says it makes labor easier. Definitely going to need a motivational pal though because the couch is just so tempting at the end of the day.

What do you use for motivation to work out when you just don't feel like it? Any experienced momma's have any workout advice for a new momma?

No comments:

Post a Comment